Friday 30 October 2009

Being SMALL is good

After a crit with Lorenzo I have decided to change my concept from *Being short is good because you get more space* to *Being small is good because...*

The feedback I got from my crit was that my research was too focussed and I wasn't thinking laterally enough. To combat this I've written down lots of reasons why being small makes your life better, ranging from taking up less space in the womb to having more space while travelling to being a better bank robber.
Being small isn't an option you can choose, and so who do you target when trying to market it?
Reading on forums, when doing previous research, I discovered the main problem short people had wasn't anything physical but more of an emotional insecurity caused by their own perceptions and being called names by other people.
Bullying is a very serious issue and affects so many young people, and surprisingly still occurs during adult life. With this in mind I've decided that my target audience should be school children to inform them on reasons why it's good to be small. This could either be primary school children or high school children.
By targeting primary school children they will know from a young age that being small is good and it will hopefully reduce the chance of any insecurities they may have in the future. Being a younger audience it seems more likely that they will listen to the message and the risk of patronising the audience is lowered.
If I were to aim my product at high school students, my approach would need to be a lot more sophisticated. The language I used would have to be carefully considered to credit their intelligence and still be informative. Also a lot of the reasons for being small are quite dismissible and are less likely to convince an older audience. Arguably bullying when in high school can lead to very serious results and so it probably wouldn't be suitable to have a light hearted approach.
Considering these reasons, I think my best option is to target my product at primary school children.
My next step is research into what children are looking at and reading at the moment. What sort of language is used, imagery etc. And how support for bullying or other problems is offered in schools.

No comments:

Post a Comment