Wednesday 3 November 2010



Testing the icons as a set. There are a couple of icons for each of the types of dive that I'm considering using and so I wanted to see how they worked together. I also printed them out at a smaller scale so I could see how practical they were. Unfortunately some of the more interesting visuals don't really work at a small scale. I've decided to keep the icons at 2 colours. Some of them I started using 3 when brainstorming but if I can communicate it sufficiently in 2 colours that would be better for continuity. Originally when thinking about the icons I was going to keep them their own shape and not unify them. However when presenting them in any other form/grids etc it'll look a mess. I discovered when doing the NHM it's better to keep the icons within the same shape and the same size and this reduces work later on in the process. I decided to use a circle for several reasons; it works well in relation to the subject matter, reminiscent of signifiers of scuba diving, etc

I'm happy for the dolphin and sea turtle icons to stay the same, most of the others just needs tweaking and tidying up but I need to address the deep diving icon, the cave diving and also the ice diving. Once I have done this I can then start to assign appropriate colours for each of the icons. Giving each icon a specific colour means that when flicking through the ref/guide book they can decide which dive they want to see on the map and see at a glance where that colour is located on the map.

No comments:

Post a Comment